What is Inside Out?
Based at St. Peter’s in the City, Derby, the Inside Out community connects men and women leaving prison and resettling to Derby, both prior to release and on release. Our aim is to empower participants to make healthier life choices, develop self-worth, find purpose and meaning, and contribute more productively to society. Each participant will have a mentor throughout the process to support them with accommodation needs, to help them access work and prepare for education, to maximise learning from volunteer work placements, and to seek and sustain employment.
How does the process work?
Pre-release participants will:
- Engage in an 8 week course run by Derby Management School and St. Peter’s in the City. This course helps to identify and unlock potential, engaging with areas such as confidence building, values, emotions, attitudes and behaviours.
- Meet with their mentor to plan (in liaison with the Community Rehabilitation Company) for release, and to establish accommodation and work placement options.
Post-release participants will:
- Undertake a work placement each week for a minimum of 6 months (hours to be negotiated between individual workplaces and Inside Out).
- Engage in a weekly programme of community activities, including an enrichment day based at St. Peter’s in the City to build community, share meals, and join in activities from sport to community work.
- Meet weekly with their mentor.
How can I be involved?
There are a number of ways to be involved:
- Apply to become an Inside Out mentor
- Offer a work placement
- Volunteer to help with administration, publicity and community events
- Support the project financially
Download our leaflet here
To find out more, please get in touch!
Use the form to contact us or call 01332 360790
In partnership with:
- Diocese of Derby
- Derby Management School
- Prison Chaplaincies
- Resettlement Teams
- Derby Homes